Author of this site: Andy M Tran
From 2011 to present, Andy has been the Manager of Education Development for Carson, Dunlop & Associates Ltd., an engineering firm and private college specializing in home inspections since 1978. He is also an instructor for Ontario students wishing to become home inspectors.
Andy has seen numerous 2nd suites as a home inspector, and advised many homeowners on how to do it correctly. Many were poorly constructed, some were outright dangerous, and most were illegal.
Andy hopes to provide as much information as he can based on his research, experience and training to assist those who have an interest in building it properly.
- Bachelor of Technology Degree in Building Science from Ryerson University School of Architecture
- Registered Building Code Designer through Ministry of Municipal Affairs and Housing (BCIN # 102774)
- Graduated with Honors from Humber College Home Inspection Training Program
- Certified Energy Adviser through NRCan (Natural Resources Canada)
- Legal 2nd Suite Consultant/Designer/Reno Coach – Consulting numerous homeowners, investors and Realtors on compliant secondary suites and assisting with permits
- Renovation work – Performed 5 major renovations in his own investment portfolio
- In depth knowledge of Building Codes – Ontario Building Code, National Building Code (Canada) and International Residential Code (US)
- Technical Editor - Home Study System (Canada) and ASHI@Home (US) for comprehensive home inspection training
- Home Inspections and Energy Auditing - Inspected over a thousand homes and performed energy audits to over two hundred between 2007 to 2011
- Authored "Basement Apartments: What Buyers & Sellers Need To Know", a continuing education course for Carson Dunlop, and approved by RECO (Real Estate Council of Ontario)